The AWS Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) team is an expanding and dynamic team that is critical to enabling AWS’s growth around the world, as well as ensuring compliance of AWS’s global operations, including physical data centers, as well as other AWS facilities, customer-facing enterprises and products. The EHS team has responsibility for architecting and implementing AWS’s global environmental and safety programs. This includes defining and implementing risk management and compliance systems and driving their continuous improvement; setting and refining global policies and procedures; overseeing the development of standards, tools, auditing and metrics, and employee training; ensuring effective engagement by environmental and health & safety teams on global initiatives, including those that are part of Amazon’s ambitious sustainability goals; providing specialist expertise; and engaging with all AWS business units to provide scalable and effective environmental and health & safety compliance strategies that support current and future business objectives while ensuring employee safety and compliance with environmental and health & safety regulations.
We are seeking a Regional Environmental Engineer (REE) to be responsible for AWS environmental compliance at data centers in the Middle East. The REE will ensure standards and policies support regulatory compliance, and they will provide appropriate environmental compliance guidance to regional operations and construction teams. The individual will complete contractual and environmental performance analysis, manage regional environmental professionals, establish and monitor metrics, and guide the teams in implementation of Amazon environmental procedures. The REE will work with internal and external partners that include government entities, contractors, consultants, design, construction, operations and other key stakeholders.
The Regional Environmental Engineer must have excellent communication skills, strong environmental regulatory knowledge, demonstrated success in program development and project management of complex and technical projects.
• Manage compliance with local and national environmental regulations, contractual obligations, and Amazon policy.
• Develop regional strategic programs by integrating with operators, engineering, construction, and operations - drive an environmentally responsible culture within the organization.
• Ensure work performed by contractors, consultants, and employees is completed in accordance with Amazon standards.
• Develop environmental metrics to measure, monitor and forecast performance.
• Conduct thorough and accurate environmental audits to drive continuous improvement.
• Prioritize and manage multiple technically complex assignments concurrently.
• Represent Amazon at appropriate levels with governmental agencies and throughout the company.
• Build collaborative relationships with various stakeholders to ensure risks are identified early and managed appropriately.
• Submit time critical reports to various governmental agencies.
• Complete thorough and accurate environmental incident investigations and associated regulatory reports and develop appropriate corrective actions.
· A completed Bachelor’s Degree in environmental, civil or chemical engineering or related field of study
· 7+ years of experience serving as an environmental technical resource, environmental manager, program specialist, or program manager
· Experience with contractual, regulatory, and liability assessments, environmental permit evaluations and applications, EIA’s, water discharge requirements, and waste management
· Broad knowledge of regional environmental regulations and programs
· Experience leading change in multiple site environments and the ability to influence those that are not direct reports or within your organization.
· Experience successfully implementing environmental systems
· Excellent organizational and project management skills
· Strong interpersonal skills: excellent communication skills, strong relationship builder, solid influencing and negotiation skills, and the ability to coach at multiple levels
· Fluent in English (both verbal and written) with Arabic (advantageous).
· Proficient with MS Excel, Word, and Windows Operating Systems
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills including comfort interfacing with senior leaders inside and outside the company
· Experience in a fast paced, changing/growing organization
· Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability