Data Center Regional Mechanical Engineer (Field Engineering)
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is seeking a Field Engineer with an Mechanical Engineering background to become part of a global engineering team responsible for existing site project design and continuous innovation of our rapidly expanding fleet.
As one of our Field Engineers, you will work directly with our Construction, Operations, and Commissioning teams at the data centers and partner directly with our Design Engineering group who own new-builds. Projects are typically within your assigned region and you will own analysis of problems and subsequent solutions.
You will be the engineering representative for an issue where our internal customers will look to you for engineering-based solutions and guidance. AWS has worked hard to develop a large-scale fleet of data centers and drives continuous improvements within our designs. We will look for you to continue that trend by providing suggestions to improve the cost /performance/simplicity of existing designs and systems. This will include reviewing current designs and contributing your field experience to work with the Design Engineering team to develop new systems and equipment.
In addition, Field Engineers act as Resident Engineers during new construction projects – especially in new regions. You will directly support construction as an extension of Design Engineering, and be a part of the process from site selection review through commissioning and site turnover. Amazon has a global presence and domestic and international travel may be necessary up to 25% of your time. Team work is an absolute must for us to accomplish our goals.
You must be able to work within a team while both depending on and driving others to accomplish the end goal for our customers. Field Engineers work with internal groups as well as external suppliers and consultants including utilities, manufacturers, vendors, and contractors.
The Field Engineer will be responsible for the following:
* Learn and Understand the design and functionality of the data centers within your assigned Region.
* Troubleshoot problems and conduct Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Corrective Action (CA) for design and equipment related failures. Field Engineers are expected to become stewards of Availability and directly support our Operations Team.
* Direct Support to Operations technicians/staff including ad-hoc trainings and complex operating procedure review.
* Own the design for existing data center upgrades and design-solutions including projects that add capacity, improve availability, and increase personnel or equipment safety.
* Provide direct influence over all designs for construction of new data centers, including engineering support during the construction and commissioning phases of mechanical systems.
* Interface with internal data center design engineering team, server hardware team, environmental health and safety team to promote standards that maintain consistency and reliability in services delivered.
* Travel to your local site to support your workload, and up to 25% travel to other regions.
* Work on concurrent projects, sometimes in multiple geographical regions.
* Be a leader within the group as well as within other teams.
* Be positive and offer creative out of the box solutions.
* Provide immediate technical guidance to operations during critical events.
* Have fun and work hard!
Please apply with your CV or Linkedin Profile in English
* Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical/Mechanical/Structural Engineering or equivalent experience.
* 6+ cumulative years of experience with industrial or commercial engineering in Mission Critical facilities. (Experienced Engineer)
Registered Professional Engineer
o Advanced degree in engineering, business, or related field.
o Have fluent knowledge of continuous operating redundant electrical systems and building management systems. (Including but not limited to: uninterruptable power sources, AC/DC conversion, P&ID loops, diesel generators systems and complex arrangements, direct evaporative cooling systems, etc...)
o Ability to develop solutions and execute plans on complex projects
o Experience with fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age